Renewal Period: 5 years
The Crane Institute of America Certification (CIC), Rigger/Signalperson Certification covers the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) definition of "qualified rigger." Rigger/Signalperson candidates must have at least one year of safe rigging and signaling experience, meet physical qualification requirements, and comply with the CIC Code of Ethics and Substance Abuse Policy. Candidates must also pass both a written exam and a practical hand signal exam.
More information can be found on the certifying agency's website.
Eligibility Requirements (View Details)
- Credential Prerequisite
- Experience: 1 year
Note: This credential may have multiple options for a Service member to meet eligibility requirements. Requirements listed here are based on the minimum degree required. To view other options, see the Eligibility tab.
Exam Requirements (View Details)
- Written Exam
- Oral Exam
- Practical Exam
- Performance Assessment
Candidates must document at least one year of safe rigging and signaling experience on the Rigger/Signalperson Experience Verification Form.
The Rigger/Signalperson Certification credential has the following other requirements:
- Candidates must meet the physical qualification requirements on the Medical Verification Form.
- Candidates must provide a government-issued photographic identification (passport, driver’s license, etc.).
Rigging Identification and Inspection
- Slings: wire rope, chain, metal mesh, and synthetic
- Rigging hardware: hooks, shackles, eyebolts, hoist rings, master links, turnbuckles, blocks
Use of Rigging Equipment
- Hitch configurations: vertical/single leg, bridle, basket, double-wrap basket, choker, double-wrap choker, endless/grommet, choker and double-basket hitch
- Using rigging equipment capacity charts
- Sling loading (tension)
- Determining through calculation the weight of basic-shaped loads: cube, rectangle, cylinder
- Knots and tagline use
- Sling protection
- Basic understanding of crane operation and limitations
- Signalperson qualification
- Position of signalperson
- Crane capacities
- Site considerations
- Safety issues/hazards
- Industry standards and government regulations
- Standard voice signals (mobile, overhead, and tower cranes)
- Standard hand signals (mobile, overhead, and tower cranes)
There are a number of resources available to help you prepare for the Rigger/Signalperson Certification examination:
An additional resource is Safari Books Online, a searchable digital library that provides online access to thousands of books, training videos and conference sessions. See the Educational Resources section on the Related Sites page here on COOL to learn how to get free access.
Renewal Period: 5 years
The Rigger/Signalperson Certification credential has the following recertification information:
The Rigger/Signalperson Certification is valid for five years. Certification holders must verify at least 1,000 hours of safe crane operation within the last five years, pass both a general knowledge written exam and a supplemental written exam, and report any unsafe operation.
If a certification holder cannot verify a minimum of 1,000 hours of safe operation passing a practical exam is required.
Additional information can be found in the CIC Candidate Handbook.